Subject: [boost] [context] very brief review
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-28 13:14:54

Dear All,

This is a very brief note about the proposed Boost.Context that is not
really worthy of being called a "review".

My main point is that I am pleased to see this functionality being
broken out as a separate library, rather than being hidden as a detail
of a higher-level functionality e.g. co-routines. This is something
that should be encouraged, and furthermore I think that the weaknesses
(e.g. documentation) should be reviewed in the context of the
alternative being to hide all of this inside Boost.CoRoutine and not
documented at all.

I have had a quick look at the ARM assembler implementation.
Parameter-passing conventions especially wrt the various FP and vector
registers is not something that I know much about. If I were going to
use this code somewhere, I would like to see a note in the docs or in
the source pointing to the reference documentation that the author used
to decide what should and what should not be saved.

It seems that the ARM code assembles to only three or four instructions
for each function. I would have written that as inline assembler,
rather than in a .S file.

In my view, after this very brief look, I believe that the library
should be accepted.

Cheers, Phil.