Subject: Re: [boost] Algebraic abstractions related to (big) integers in C++
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-29 17:02:32

Thomas Klimpel wrote:
>> however i do not object to begin treating integers in semantically
>> more correct way even if it can cause consequences
>
> The introduction of some of the missing "standard library" functions
> like "modulo", "add_with_carry" or "multiply_full_result" would be a
> good start, and would cause nearly no harm. Of course it would only
> make sense if it would really enable to write fast bigint libraries
> in a portable way without falling back to assembler.

There is nothing stopping us from writing a boost library that does just that, implementing it as portable C++ that is slow and providing inline assmeber (or intrinsics based) implementations for common platforms. Then we can make a proposal to add these to the std library.

Anyone want to suggest it as a GSOC project they are willing to mentor? I can't mentor more than one project, unfortunately.

Regards,
Luke