Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC]SIMD Library
From: Domagoj Saric (domagoj.saric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-03-31 06:54:59

"Mathias Gaunard" <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> On 31/03/2011 11:47, Cory Nelson wrote:
>
>> What would ever make intrinsics improper?
>
> GCC generates a compile-time error if you include the intrinsics files
> without the right option (-msse2 or similar) enabled with the compiler.
> For this reason, we took care of only including the files requested by the
> instruction set the user has chosen.

Yes, the GCC solution is not quite the ideal one for this problem...If I,
for example, want to use SSE3 but only if it is available I obviously cannot
pass -msse3 because it will use SSE3 code for the whole binary (which will
then of course crash on SSE2 machines) but if I do not pass -msse3 then I do
not get the intrinsics at all...The "what were they thinking" question does
pop up...

> Now then, I guess it would always be possible to cheat and redefine those
> things.

Is that possible (considering the macros are defined by the compiler)?

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than