Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Boost PP and variadic macros
From: Chad Nelson (chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-03 12:46:41

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:58:58 -0400
Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...] My initial thought was to see if config could work with C
> compilers, but all investigation there has led me to believe that it
> would be too many unnecessary changes to config, would complicate
> config greatly, would need extensive testing against all compilers,
> and that since config is central to all of Boost such a potential
> massive change to it it is a bad idea. [...]

What about simply wrapping everything in config, except the varadic
stuff, in an "#ifdef __cplusplus"? It would be an unobtrusive change,
and that define is required by every C++ standard I've seen (note: I've
only seen working drafts, not the final copies, though I don't expect
that part has changed).

I know that even Borland's compilers (arguably the most problematic
ones in common use today) have defined that since Turbo C++ 1.0 in the
eighties.

--
Chad Nelson
Oak Circle Software, Inc.