Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Boost PP and variadic macros
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-03 14:56:06

On 4/3/2011 2:22 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 17:58, Edward Diener wrote:
>> This means that the code to detect variadic macro support in
>> Boost is duplicated in two places, both in config, which I basically
>> started with the blessing of John Maddock with the
>> BOOST_NO_VARIADIC_MACROS macro, and in Boost PP in a configuration file
>> which I have coded and essentially duplicates the code in config for
>> variadic macro support.
>>
>> I do not like this. Duplicating functionality in two different places,
>> even as simple as determining variadic macro support for compilers, is
>> error prone and a maintenance problem. Changes in one place have to be
>> done in the other, and this would need to constantly be tracked.
>
> Does it detect the MSVC bug that severely restricts the use of variadic
> macros with that compiler?

I am aware of a problem with VC++ and variadic macros and already
addressed it in my VMD library by finding an effective workaround. The
same technique to workaround the VC++ problem is in Boost PP with my
work to add variadic macro support for it. If you still find a specific
proble with VMD and VC++, please report it to me. The same goes for the
work I am doing now to bring variadic macros to Boost PP.