Subject: Re: [boost] [config] Boost PP and variadic macros
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-03 19:11:05

On 4/3/2011 3:47 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> On 03/04/2011 20:56, Edward Diener wrote:
>> I am aware of a problem with VC++ and variadic macros and already
>> addressed it in my VMD library by finding an effective workaround. The
>> same technique to workaround the VC++ problem is in Boost PP with my
>> work to add variadic macro support for it. If you still find a specific
>> proble with VMD and VC++, please report it to me. The same goes for the
>> work I am doing now to bring variadic macros to Boost PP.
>
> I would be very interested in knowing what your workaround is for the
> token pasting problem of MSVC, which prevents things like the popular
> PP_NARG[1] macro from working.

I am aware of that problem and it is the one I solved. In my VMD library
look at the vmd_detail.hpp header file and the versions of
VMD_DETAIL_DATA_SIZE(...) and VMD_DETAIL_DATA_ELEM(n,...) for
BOOST_MSVC. Exactly why my workaround solves the problem for VC++ I do
not know ( or really care given that the VC++ preprocessor is hardly
standard conforming ) but it does for the functionality desired.

> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.std.c/msg/12dd93fe6cb5f5e5

I also credit Laurent Deniau in my acknowledgments.