Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library starts tomorrow
From: John Bytheway (jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-08 04:14:40

On 06/04/11 22:29, Chad Nelson wrote:
> The general review checklist:
>
> - What is your evaluation of the design?

Overall the design seems well thought out. The following stand out as
good points:

- The availability of various backends reassures me that the design is
appropriately general and flexible.

- The option to treat std::string as UTF-8 is welcome; I am fed up with
e.g. Glib which insists on assuming std::string is in the default locale.

- I get the impression that Artyom has been using the library
extensively and it is better for that experience.

Only one worry presented itself to me as I read the docs. Consider the
following example:

date_time some_point = period::year * 1995 + period::january +
period::day*1;

It looks like a period can be implicitly cast to a date_time. This
seems dangerous. I feel the start of 1995 should be obtained more
explicitly through the calendar.

Did not look.

The prose of the documentation is very good, and the tutorials do a good
job of introducing the various aspects.

I did not look at the reference in detail, but I am more concerned that
it does not offer the necessary level of detail. Consider for example
the documentation for normalize
(<http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/html/group__convert.html#ga11672e3cc3ed7eecf1dd07060265aab2>).
 I went to the reference for this because the tutorial
(<http://cppcms.sourceforge.net/boost_locale/html/conversions.html>) did
not explain. I see that it performs Unicode normalization, but there is
no hint as to what value I may pass as the 'n' parameter. Where are
these documented? This is a rhetorical question; I know the answer is
"at the top of the page", but a link would be useful.

There are many terms used in the documentation which may not be familiar
to all readers. e.g. what it means to "fold case" and what the
definitions of the various normalization forms, collation levels, etc.
are. Some terms are covered in the glossary, but not all and only
briefly. There are some links to Wikipedia articles, but not many. I
suggest that links to other resources such as more Wikipedia articles,
Unicode Consortium documents, etc., especially in the glossary or in a
new "references" appendix but also wherever else appropriate (perhaps
linking via a list in the appendix).

I second the request for previous/next links. It's hard to browse
without them.

There are many code examples, most of which involve writing something to
stdout, but few of them include examples of possible output. It would
be extremely helpful to add example output (preferably more than one
example where the output can vary by locale) to more of the examples.

Assorted minor issues:

In "Locale Generation":

- You don't mention what character delimits multiple "variant" options
in a locale identifier. Is this even possible? This suggests so, but
later the boost::local::info::variant function implies that it is not
possible.

In "Conversions"

- You should mention at least briefly what fold_case and normalize do.

In "Messages formatting":

- There are four "The source text is not copied." with different
emphasis. I think the second and fourth should read "The source text is
copied.". In that same paragraph the formatting is wrong near "Plural
form translation: Translate a message"; it's missing a newline and
wrongly indented.

- The example of multiple message domains defines some hypothetical
domains, but doesn't use them in the example; it would be clearer to
connect the two.

- In the full list of xgettext parameters most but not all of the
function names given are links to their respective docs. Could they all be?

In "Localized Text Formatting":

- You do not explain how to include a literal '{' character in the string.

- The syntax grammar seems wrong. 'key' seems to be being defined to be
just one character, I guess there should be a '*'?

- "date, time , datetime" has a stray space after "time".

- It says "See as::ftime manipulator.", but the "as::ftime" is not a
link. Could it be?

In "Working with dates, times, timezones and calendars.":

- Just how general is the calendar format here?

In "Using Localization Backends":

- You discuss on what platforms the standard library backend is useful.
 Where you say "on Linux with GCC or Intel compilers", would it be
better to say "when using the GCC standard library, for example with
GCC, the Intel compiler" since I guess e.g. clang (if used with the gcc
std lib) would work too?

- A comment in an example has stray Doxygen markup: "select \c std
backend as default", and again later: "since it is not supported by \c std".

Misc:

- There was some earlier discussion of whether Boost.Locale should
provide the ability to load gettext catalogs from other sources than the
filesystem. Was this resolved? It might warrant a mention in the
rationale.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the
> library?

Very useful. I have in the past written programs for which I would have
liked to include localization support, but could find no existing
library which presented an interface nice enough that I felt I could use
it. Boost.Locale's interface looks good enough that I might.

> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you
> have any problems?

I did not try.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A
> quick reading? In-depth study?

A reading of the tutorials only, not the reference.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

No. As a native English speaker I live in blissful ignorance of most of
the difficulties :). I hope some users of diverse languages and
cultures get the chance to try the library during the review.

> Please explicitly state in your review whether the library should be
> accepted.

Yes it should.

I send this review now since I suspect I will not get around to looking
at the library in more detail or try it myself. If I do manage that I
will be sure to report back further.

For now, thanks very much to Artyom and good luck with the review.

John Bytheway