Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review part 1: headers
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-10 07:40:20

On 10/04/2011 06:27, Artyom wrote:

>> On DSPs it is usually 1 byte and 16 bits, but then it could be argued they
>> have bad compilers.
>> I wonder if anyone ever tried to run Boost with a TI compiler (they certainly
>> claim support for C++
>> is "excellent" on their wiki).
>>

> - Does ICU compilable for DSP?
> - Does standard C++ library of them supports something
> beyond C and POSIX locales?

You wouldn't want to do text processing on DSPs anyway.

> See... Where I need 32 bits I use them, however I need
> this enum to have 20 bits and this is
> practical not theoretical issue.
>
> So 16 bit platform would be not supported for now.
> I'm really try to solve practical issues.

Your library extends the standard locale system, it would be great if it
was of good enough quality that it could work with any
standard-conforming compiler, especially if you wanted someday to
integrate this within the C++ standard itself.

> OpenVMS's C++ compiler from HP, sizeof(size_t)=4 but sizeof(void *)=8
> in 64 mode...

Good to know; quite surprising.

I would consider OpenVMS somewhat of an obsolete platform though, but
that's just me.

> No, because when you deal with text there
> are real world assumptions you can made - there is no
> single chunk of text of size written by man such that>= 4GB...

I've got IRC and IM logs that easily go beyond 4GB for a single channel
or discussion. Are you suggesting those aren't text and I shouldn't use
your library when I want to perform analysis of that text?

> In any case I suggest to drop it because I'll change it to size_t
>
> Read the second bullet in the link above. You can't create std::locale facets
> for arbitrary types.
>
> In fact, because GCC's libstd++ does not specializes them for char16_t/char32_t
> (library bug) I can't create such facets as I get undefined references.

Yes, locale facets only work with char or wchar_t, but I don't see how
using "unsigned int" (or whatever you meant by native types) is going to
help you there...