Subject: Re: [boost] Fw: [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-12 16:59:04

> From: Chad Nelson <chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden]>

> Begin forwarded message:
> [snip]
> > - What is your evaluation of the documentation?
>
> [snip]
>
> * Confusing first page as it seems to only talk about other libraries,
> not the one in question. (?)

After reading the introduction page once again I had realized
it may be a little bit misleadings.

So there is the rewritten text I think should appear
in general description of Boost.Locale library:

Boost.Locale is a library that provides high quality
localization facilities in a C++ way.

It gives powerful tools for development of cross platform
localized software - the software that talks to user
in its language.

Provided Features:

    * Correct case conversion, case folding and normalization.
    * Collation (sorting), including support for 4 Unicode
      collation levels.
    * Date, time, timezone and calendar manipulations,
      formatting and parsing, including transparent support
      for calendars other than Gregorian.
    * Boundary analysis for characters, words, sentences and
      line-breaks.
    * Number formatting, spelling and parsing.
    * Monetary formatting and parsing.
    * Powerful message formatting (string translation)
      including support for plural forms, using GNU catalogs.
    * Character set conversion.
    * Transparent support for 8-bit character sets like Latin1
    * Support for char and wchar_t
    * Experimental support for C++0x char16_t and char32_t
      strings and streams.

Boost.Locale enhances and unifies the standard library's API
the way it becomes useful and convenient for development
of cross platform and "cross-culture" software.

In order to achieve this goal Boost.Locale uses
the-state-of-the-art Unicode and Localization
library: ICU - International Components for Unicode.

Boost.Locale creates the natural glue between the C++ locales
framework, iostreams, and the powerful ICU library.

Boost.Locale provides non-ICU based localization support as well.
It is based on the operating system native API or on the standard
C++ library support. Sacrificing some less important features,
Boost.Locale becomes less powerful but lighter and easier to deploy
and use library.

Artyom Beilis