Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] trouble building
From: Artyom (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-14 17:03:33

----- Original Message ----

I'd suggest you to build it from the provided solutions
both debug and release versions - makes it all much easier
especially for multi-variant builds.

AFAIK provided ICU libraries are release only.

So build it with provided solutions it shouldn't
take too long.

> I set up the PATH variable to include d:\icu\bin...
>
> I copied boost and lib from the review into boost_1_46_1 where the root of
>boost source is.
>
> The docs seem to imply that I can get a build without ICU if I'm using Windows
>but this doesn't seem to be the case. I tried --without-icu and I got an error
>about using --with and --without for the same lib.

First of all if ICU is not found it would be build automatically without it.

You can also use explicitly boost.locale.icu=off in command line.

> Here's my attempt to build (with ICU installed):
>
> D:\boost_1_46_1\boost_1_46_1>bjam --build-dir=.\build toolset=msvc-10
>--with-loc
> ale --prefix=d:\boost_msvc_1461 --layout=system -sICU_PATH=d:\icu stage
> Performing configuration checks

I'm not sure that layout=system is actually should be used on windows
as you require mangled names for different binary incompatible versions
like import lib, static library debug and release.

AFAIK layout=system is used on Posix platforms where no need to
"over-mangle" the library names as there is no binary incompatibilities
between debug and release versions.

Artyom