Subject: Re: [boost] Fw: [locale] Formal review of Boost.Locale library
From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-14 18:08:08

On 14/4/2011 23:35, Ryou Ezoe wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Artyom<artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> You should do following.
>>
>> 1. Do not include direct localized text to sources,
>> that is what localization system for.
> How can we force programmer for not using any character other than
> basic source character set?
> It's impossible.

At least very impractical.
Although I agree that programmers should use English as a base language
for both comments and strings (I still remember the problems that german
comments caused Star/Open-Office), i also belive that you can never
force all programmers to do so.
Another problem is that even if you do use English as your applications
"native" language, you might still need characters that are prone to
encoding problems, e.g. the © in Copyright messages, or accented Names.
(We had both issues just last month)

I would expect that a localization library can take care of it for me.
I don't yet know how serious an issue that is, at the very least it
should be thoroughly documented.

Regards

Fabio