Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review
From: Gevorg Voskanyan (v_gevorg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-18 12:21:45

Artyom wrote:
> Gevorg Voskanyan wrote:
> > Artyom wrote:
> > > It is design issue of standard C and C++ library.

> > While I agree about the standard C library, what issue does C++ standard
> >library
> >
> > have here?
> > You can just imbue std::locale::classic() and you are good to go. Am I
>missing
>

> > something?
> >

> Calling std::locale::global(some_locale)
> calls C function
>
> setlocale(LC_ALL,some_locale.name());
>
> So even if you can fix C++ code you can't do it
> for C libraries you may use.
>
> Also 99.9% of C++ developers unaware of this issue and
> almost nobody imbues std::locale::classic() because
> they just not aware of the problem.

Valid points, yet none of these is a design issue of the C++ standard library
per se. You can write the example you mentioned earlier in this thread in a
correct and reasonable way in C++, unlike in C. But developers need to be
educated how, and I think this library can help with that by increasing the
general awareness of localization-related issues in the C++ community.

Gevorg