Subject: [boost] FW: [locale] Off-list review
From: steve.bush_at_[hidden]
Date: 2011-04-19 09:05:38

-----Original Message-----
From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden] [mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
On Behalf Of Vicente BOTET
Sent: 19 April 2011 10:33

>Hi, I have the impression that this review has already been sent at Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:40:53 +0400 .

>BTW, who sent it?

I did. I am sorry for wasting everybody's time. I joined the list
immediately afterwards and have followed the very lively discussion intently
since then.

Artyom is quite resolute in the defence of his design decisions some of
which brutally practical compromises - even if theoretically ugly. Things
like broken standard libraries and "Broken" csv just aren't going to be
fixed. This particular library has to live in the real world of existing
libraries, not a vacuum, so the exquisite design purity which is so much a
part of many boost libraries is less a consideration here.

One of the strengths of the library seems to be that Artyom has used it in
production for some years, although apparently mainly in posix/utf-8
environment and without CJK.

I seriously doubt there will be any better offer for internationalisation
library than this and it may trigger a better solution later on. If that is
the case then this review better try to identify any unacceptable features
in the library - especially those that cannot be replaced in future
versions. If there are few or none then I think it should be admitted.

Steve Bush