Subject: Re: [boost] [Memory Managed Pointer] Review Request
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-26 02:45:35

On 04/25/2011 11:25 PM, Phil Bouchard wrote:

> A key characteristic of mm_ptr is its real-time behavior and could
> consequently be renamed to rt_ptr or real_ptr for example.
>
> On the other hand if garbage collection was to be implemented I'm sure
> gc_ptr would fit better than mm_ptr.
>

> Thanks,
> -Phil

If I understood correctly, it's a pointer that

1) counts references from the stack or data segment only
2) auto-unites different "sets"

So maybe something along the line of "heap_set_ptr" covers its
functionality. I'm curious about the union behaviour: couldn't this be
causing a huge delay for deallocation? Can it be turned off?

Cheers,

Rutger