Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review results for Boost.Locale library
From: Marsh Ray (marsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-27 18:05:54

On 04/27/2011 02:23 PM, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 11:46 AM, Marsh Ray wrote:
> > [comments about ASCII requirement]
>
> A suggestion was made at one point that an ASCII transliteration of
> Japanese would be a possible solution, and I think most of us can agreed
> that should be rejected immediately as a non-viable solution.
>
> However, forcing MSVC users to use one of the Windows "ANSI" encodings,
> such as windows-936, wouldn't be nearly such an impediment.

I've worked at places where I couldn't use certain Boost libraries
because I couldn't change the necessary compiler setting to work around
a well-documented bug in MSVC). At this place they also questioned
whitespace changes which were not even affecting visible formatting.
Thankfully I don't work there any more.

I don't know how much of a change it is for a software developer in
Japan to convince his team to change their source file encoding so they
can use some library. It's probably non-trivial.

What I do know, however, is that the set of users who are candidates for
ending up as happy users of a library is always much greater when the
library developers don't think they can "force" users to adopt specific
compiler settings or agree to other nonstandard constraints.

- Marsh