Subject: Re: [boost] [locale] Review results for Boost.Locale library
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-01 18:11:17

On 01/05/2011 20:44, Artyom wrote:

> But the bigger question is what exactly do you want to do with BOM
> and how it would help you to make the "cross-platform" software?

The goal is to allow all compilers to recognize that the source is
encoded in UTF-8.
This is what you need to write cross-platform source that contains
non-ASCII characters.

> the only
> real Unicode strings with MSVC would be L"" and they
> are actually would be encoded with UTF-16 encoding
> while all non-Windows world uses UTF-32 as wide character
> encodings.

How is that a problem at all?

And using narrow string literals with UTF-8 content masquerading as ANSI
is a hack, sorry. That's not the C++-endorsed solution.

> So basically I can say that untill Microsoft Visual Studio
> team would take UTF-8 seriously and either support 65001
> codepage as expected or provide GCC's like options
> for input and exec encodings I don't see how
> this BOM would be useful.

I don't really care about what the execution character set is. I
definitely do not want to change it, it should be the user locale.