Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Formal Review Result
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-03 06:13:53

Barend Gehrels wrote:

> On 30-4-2011 18:39, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> Chad Nelson wrote:

>>> Also Christopher Jefferson, Ivan Sorokin, Barend Gehrels, and Artyom
>>> Beilis, and a "conditional yes" from Robert Stewart.
>> Sorry for missing those. It seems like last four were missed because
>> I was reviewing email in two sessions, and apparently some emails were
>> marked as read in between. Also I've missed the vote from Christopher
>> since it was on a line that started with the "quote" (">") character.
>
> Sorry to react on this, but I feel this is not as it should be (even if
> apologies and reasons are given).
>
> It seems that 5 of 10 positive reviews had not been read at all by the
> review manager, or at least not read during making up the review report.

Thanks for giving me the benefit of doubt, and I think it's the latter
than happened -- that is, emails were read, but not written down in
the report.

> This is not very motivating for the reviewers, neither for the library
> writer.
>
> I understand that the traffic was really high, that review managers do
> this voluntary, everybody don't have all the time, etc.
>
> Reviews are usually carefully written. People spend several hours on it,
> sometimes days. Skipping these reviews is a sad thing. Writing a library
> cost weeks, sometimes months or more. Forgetting reviews is a very sad
> thing.
>
> There was somebody who recently mentioned a scoreboard on this list and
> I now think this is a good idea, because the review manager can check if
> all reviews are taken into account.
>
> Note that it is not that I'm offended my personal review being skipped,
> it was not that special and it didn't cost me days. It is more in
> general that I feel this is really not honest to the library writer.

Well, I can say again that I'm sorry, and that this is lame, and of
course a technical mechanism would make counting of votes be more accurate.

>>> Also Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr.
>> The overall picture is still that the votes are split, and I did not use
>> specific percentages to make a decision.
>
> In this case it goes (fraction fully counted) from 5/7 to 10/8, flips
> from negative to positive. Quite a difference. Even if the decision
> stays the same, it requires an extra motivation for rejecting the library.

This is not something I'd agree with. 10/8 is actually 55%. That's not
a sufficiently wide margin that the simple counting of votes can reasonably
determine outcome.

- Volodya

--
Vladimir Prus