Subject: [boost] Library Review Tool (paging Jeff Garland) -- was : Re: [xint] Formal Review Result
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-04 02:17:31

On 05/03/2011 09:12 AM, Matthew Chambers wrote:
> On 5/3/2011 11:02 AM, Marsh Ray wrote:
>> On 05/02/2011 03:04 PM, Barend Gehrels wrote (in another order):
>>>
>>> There was somebody who recently mentioned a scoreboard on this list
>>> and I now think this is a good idea, because the review manager can
>>> check if all reviews are taken into account.
>>
>> Yes, please.
>>
>> It would also make it more practical for an observer like me to sit
>> down and simply read the reviews
>> in an orderly way.
>>
>>> I understand that the traffic was really high, that review managers
>>> do this voluntary, everybody don't have all the time, etc.
>>>
>>> Reviews are usually carefully written. People spend several hours on
>>> it, sometimes days. Skipping these reviews is a sad thing. Writing a
>>> library cost weeks, sometimes months or more. Forgetting reviews is
>>> a very sad thing.
>>
>> Honestly, I would be more likely to help review libraries if I felt
>> like it wouldn't be buried in
>> the volume of the list.
>
> This where mailing lists fall to pieces. With proper forum software,
> moderators could easily organize threads and change subject lines so
> that it would be trivial to separate actual reviews from discussion.
> And in fact, users would quickly adjust their behavior to fit the
> paradigm. Instead, we have hundreds of messages with "review" in the
> subject and only some of them are actual reviews, most being
> discussion (like this one!). :(
>
> -Matt

Some time ago we all had a discussion like this and I believe Jeff
Garland had mentioned Smart Bear's CodeCollaborator to aid in Boost
Reviews. I used their product for a short time and was just taking a
look at their web site again:

<http://smartbear.com/products/development-tools/code-review/features/>

I know there are other tools also (like Crucible) but CodeCollaborator
also allows reviews of html docs which will obviously be handy. IIRC
Jeff had mentioned that SmartBear might be willing to provide licensing
for Boost (or opensource .. it is all fuzzy). I believe Jeff was in
contact with them... but my memory might be failing (Jeff?? Are you there?)

I would be willing to investigate this path further, including the
administration and such of the tool, if it is of interest to the community.

michael

--
In the Sacramento/Folsom area?
** Profesional C++ Training mid-May **