Subject: Re: [boost] [review] string convert
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-04 13:25:03

Jeff Flinn wrote:
> Gordon Woodhull wrote:
> >
> > Something is needed here, when you want to use the fallback
> > but you also want to know if conversion succeeded. See that
> > snippet from Vladimir that I just quoted again in my reply to
> > Matt.
>
> I'm having a hard time envisioning why you would ever care if
> conversion failed if you are specifying a default. Is that in
> the snippet you refer to? Can you show it in this context to
> avoid confusion?

Just think about using non-DefaultConstructible UDTs as the source type. How would the convert_cast create a variable to hold the conversion result it's to return if the conversion succeeds? That's why Vicente suggested a default_value customization point previously.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components