Subject: Re: [boost] [local] Help for the Alternatives section
From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jeremy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-04 15:07:31

On 05/04/2011 11:43 AM, lcaminiti wrote:
[snip]

> Can I do this without auto? Otherwise, the local Phoenix function retains
> its polymorphic behavior only on C++0x (but not on ISO C++) when it is given
> a name by assigning it to a local variable like local_add.

auto naturally makes it more convenient in many cases (and note that
even with C++1x, phoenix retains the advantage of polymorphism over
C++1x lambdas). However, in many cases a template function may take as
a parameter an explicitly polymorphic function object, e.g. the various
transformation functions of Boost.Fusion, or the visitor functions of
Boost.Variant.