Subject: Re: [boost] std::map::find() wrapper
From: Marsh Ray (marsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-05 14:35:00

On 05/05/2011 10:17 AM, Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> Den 05-05-2011 16:53, Thorsten Ottosen skrev:
>> Den 05-05-2011 16:48, Marsh Ray skrev:
>>>
>>> sizeof(T*) is guaranteed to be nonzero, and in practice is 4 or 8 bytes,
>>> whereas references are allowed to have no size at all.
>>
>> Can you mention just one ABI where references are merely pointers?
>
> ... not merely ...

So I'm interpreting that as "Can you give an example of an actual C++
program where the compiler does not emit the same code for references as
the analogous code using plain pointers."

... I played around with g++-4.6.0 and was not able to make it emit
different code in the short time I'm willing to try. G++ seems to miss
some opportunities for optimization of references, and seems to be smart
about tracking pointer values.

- Marsh