Subject: Re: [boost] [tree] Reviving the tree library
From: Joel Young (jdy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-06 13:58:10

Erik Erlandson <eerlands <at> redhat.com> writes:

> I have a few questions regarding the TR2 tree iterators
>
> 2) What is the semantic of in-order traversal for a non-binary tree?

For flexibility, there needs to be a walk that generalizes preorder,
inorder and postorder as well as handedness of the walk.

The user should be able to specify a left-side visitor, a bottom visitor (that
can be aware of how many times the bottom has been visited to deal with
non-binary trees), and a right visitor.

In addition, a traversal should be able to be either left handed or right handed.

The traversal should be able to stop after meeting some precondition and return
a reference to the node stopped at.

Finally, the traversal should be able to be started at any node in the tree.

Joel