Subject: Re: [boost] [tree] Reviving the tree library
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-06 21:04:38

On 5/6/2011 4:22 PM, Cromwell Enage wrote:
> --- On Fri, 5/6/11, Rene Rivera wrote:
>> On 5/5/2011 6:46 PM, Erik Erlandson wrote:
>>> I have a few questions regarding the TR2 tree iterators
>>>
>>> 1) I would recommend a breadth-first iterator
>>
>> Right. There are many additional traversal algorithms possible.
>> And the specification of the pre-defined ones is one of the week
>> points of the current TR.
>>
>>> 2) What is the semantic of in-order traversal for a non-binary
>>> tree?
>>
>> Even though it's only implied I think it's left-to-right in-order
>> traversal.
>
> What are your thoughts on a generalized depth-first iterator that
> also indicates whether it's currently in pre-order traversal mode,
> post-order traversal mode, or neither? I've found it useful for
> implementing scene graphs, for example.

The goal was to make it possible to have any kind of iteration. The ones
in the TR are the simple common ones. So yes, other iterations would be
good to add. I'm all for generalization. Are you thinking of the static
kind, as in traits, etc.? Or are you thinking of something run-time?

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything