Subject: Re: [boost] [convert] no-throw and fallback feature
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-09 15:06:00

Vicente BOTET wrote:
> De : "Stewart, Robert"
> > Vicente BOTET wrote:
> > > De : "Vladimir Batov"

> > The issue raised before is that "try" indicates a bool return
> > type. Perhaps "maybe_as" would work?
> >
> > auto o(convert::maybe_as(s));
> >
> > However, I do like the use of get_value_or().
>
> I remember this point. The fact that optional is implicitly
> convertible to a safe bool let me think that try_ is ok.

Perhaps so.

> There is something that I like of the function returning
> optional.

get_value_or() makes it useful nice. optional has good semantics for what we're trying to do. The safe-bool conversion is not unreasonable, but it does suffer from the implicit conversion issue WRT template type deduction.

> But I will first comeback to the prototype that returned a
> pair Target,bool. As a pair is considered as a tuple we can
> write
>
> tie(i,b) = convert_to(s);

I thought about that briefly at one point in the discussions.

> the main problem of this prototype is that target must be
> copied and a default value is needed when the conversion fails.

The extra copy is not desirable when there are reasonable (or, at least, not unreasonable) alternatives to avoid it.

> If we see optional as a kind of conditional tuple and we
> imagine something like a conditional tie (let me call it
> 'ctie'), we could be able to write
>
> ctie(i,b) = try_convert_to(s);

I presume that no assignment would be done to i if b is false.

That actually means writing this:

   int i;
   bool b;
   ctie(i, b) = try_converting_to<int>(s);
   if (!b)
   {
      i = fallback;
      std::cerr << "using fallback\n";
   }

Compare that to this:

   int i(fallback);
   if (!try_converting_to<int>(s, i))
   {
      std::cerr << "using fallback\n";
   }

The optional returning version provides useful benefits like no extra copy, get_value_or(), and no instance of the target type if the conversion fails.

> We could also write,
>
> if (ctie(i,b) = try_convert_to(s),b ) ....
>
> If in addition the result of ctie is implicitly convertible to
> bool, we can have
>
> if ((ctie(i,b) = try_convert_to(s)) ...

Interesting, but probably too much of a good thing.

Besides, the same thing is done with the following which is simpler and less tricky:

int i;
if (try_converting_to<int>(s, i)) ...

> > Don't forget the name when in its namespace and with the type
> > specified clearly: convert::convert_to_or(s, fallback). The
> > repetition of "convert" is not ideal, but no different than
> > "convert_cast" and stands up well with a using declaration or
> > directive. Unfortunately, "to_or" isn't right. It suggests
> > something other than int is the desire.
>
> Boost.Conversion defines all these operations at the boost
> namespace level, as it is done for the other generic cast,
> lexical_cast, numeric_cast, polymorphic_cast, ...

Current policy is to put nothing directly into the boost namespace. Perhaps that can be relaxed, but don't count on it.

> I agree that we should use as specific namespace for each
> library, but we the operations are generic it is IMO desirable
> that these functions stay on the boost namespace. If I was
> forced to add a namespace I will of course choose conversion.

You don't think "convert" is a good choice?

> > I can't think of a good name, so I'm inclined to reject this
> > function. If a better name arises, I can certainly see some
> > value in including such a function, but at some point, there
> > get to be too many ways to do a thing and that, itself,
> > confuses matters. Thus, this function must be considered in
> > light of the entire API.
>
> I like convert_to_or, I don't think it is absolutely needed,
> but it could be added without too much noise.

Do you mean you like the name, in contrast to my argument against it above, or that you like the function?

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components