Subject: Re: [boost] [review] string convert
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-09 17:33:12

Vicente BOTET wrote:
> De : "Stewart, Robert"
>
> > To summarize, here's the complete API as I see it now:
> >
> > 1. convert::default_value customization point
> > * Default value, if needed, when not otherwise supplied
>
> I don't see this customization point exclusive for conversions.
> I will move it to the boost namespace.

I don't know about that. If a type has a globally applicable default value, then it will have a default constructor (or be zero-initializable). I see default_value as specific to conversions.

> > 2. convert::converter customization point
> > * Non-stream-based main logic
> > * Functor interface
>
> Do you mean that the default behavior is a call to the
> conversion operator?

The default behavior is to rely on T(S) or T = S. Specializations of converter<T,S> can do things differently.

> > 3. T convert::convert_cast(S)
> > * Throws on failure unless T is convert::result
> > * Uses convert::converter to do conversion
>
> I prefer conversion::convert_to.

That looks every bit like a cast. Why not name is so? Still, if there are to be parallel namespaces (see below), then convert_to() would be good.

> > 4. T convert::convert_cast(S, T _fallback)
> > * Returns _fallback on failure unless T is convert::result
> > * Uses convert::converter to do conversion
>
> I prefer conversion::convert_to_or.

Overloading is a lot cleaner to my eyes and, of course, I don't like your name as I've noted.

> > 5. bool convert::try_converting_to(S, T & _value)
> > * Returns false and leaves _value unchanged on failure
> > * Uses convert::converter to do conversion
>
> I prefer conversion::try_convert_to.

It doesn't read properly, but I now see why you like it: you are adding "try_" to "convert_to" the name you want for #3. There is asymmetry in convert_cast/try_converting_to versus your convert_to/try_convert_to, which is good. However, convert_to_or simply has to go! ;-)

> > 6. convert::stream_converter customization point
> > * Stream-based main logic
> > * Functor interface
> > * Supports manipulators
>
> What about streamable::converter?

In my mind, there's one main namespace for the conversion library. Therefore, that would need to be conversion::streamable::converter and then I'd expect conversion::something_else::converter for the non-stream-based converter. I'd prefer conversion::converter and conversion::stream_converter, but that does require different names for the two sets of function templates.

> > 7. T convert::as(S, options)
> > * Throws on failure
> > * Uses convert::stream_converter to do conversion
>
> What about streamable::convert_to?

conversion::streamable::convert_to() is fine, but then the non-stream-based version should be conversion::something_else::convert_to(). Still, this makes for highly parallel interfaces -- other than where the streamable API includes support for the extra formatting, etc. -- so is worth further discussion if a good pair of namespace names can be found.

> > 8. T convert::as(S, T _fallback, options)
> > * Returns _fallback on failure
> > * Uses convert::stream_converter to do conversion
>
> What about streamable::convert_to_or?

Nope; I very much dislike the "to_or" naming. Once again, I like the overloading. They differ by one argument which dictates no exception. I don't see why they need a different name.

> > 9. bool convert::try_as(S, T & _value, options)
> > * Returns false and leaves _value unchanged on failure
> > * Uses convert::stream_converter to do conversion
>
> What about streamable::try_convert_to?

If there's to be conversion::something_else::convert_to() and conversion::something_else::try_convert_to(), then conversion::streamable::try_convert_to() is fine.

BTW, I think "streaming" or even "stream" is better than "streamable."

> > Does that cover everything satisfactorily? Did I miss
> > something? Except where I have suggested specific support
> > for convert::result, I don't think it should be allowed.
> > (That is, use SFINAE to ensure that convert::result isn't
> > used with the other parts of the API.)
>
> If try_ will return bool, I think that we need also a function
> that returns optional.

OK. There are those that dislike non-const reference arguments, so such an interface would satisfy those.

> Even if the function has the problem related to a template
> parameter, the name of the function don't reflect that the
> result will be the parameter T, and doesn't return a bloated
> interface, but a well know and useful class that I believe is
> proposed for TR2, or if it is not the case it should be.

I'm sorry. I couldn't parse that.

> The names I have suggested allow to have two more or less
> independent libraries, that follows the same interface on the
> common needs, but having a different default behavior. For the
> specific stream conversions there are surely a lot of variants
> that can be provided.

I won't summarize the API this time because there are names to be ironed out, but there is the optional-based interface to add. I think that's best handled by making the use of optional explicit:

   optional<int> const o1(convert_cast<optional<int>>(s));
   optional<int> const o2(as<optional<int>>(s));

When auto is added to the mix, it works very nicely.

   auto const o1(convert_cast<optional<int>>(s));
   auto const o2(as<optional<int>>(s));

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components