Subject: Re: [boost] [review] [autoindex] (not yet a) review of AutoIndex
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-13 11:28:02

Hi,

This is not yet a review.

On 11-5-2011 11:13, John Maddock wrote:
> Just a reminder to everyone that this review is ongoing.... I realize
> there's a certain amount of "review fatigue" going on at present (!) -
> but some more reviews would be very welcome - details below.

Review - fatigue, might be. This tool is especially useful for Boost
Library writers (more than for users). Though QuickBook or BoostBook can
be used to document non-boost libraries, I doubt if that is done widely.
I know at least one case.

So, though this tool is really promising, this might explain the low
volume of reviews or even questions or discussions on this list.

(deliberately left this:)

> About AutoIndex
> ===============
>
> The documentation describes it as "a tool for taking the grunt work
> out of indexing a Boostbook/Docbook document that describes C/C++
> code".
>
> The documentation is online at:
>
> http://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/tools/auto_index/doc/html/index.html
>

> AutoIndex can be downloaded from the vault:
>
> http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=auto_index-0.9.zip
>

> The download also contains a pdf of the documentation at
> 'doc/auto_index.pdf', and a copy of the html documentation at
> 'doc/html/index.html'.

I'm a Boost Library writer currently writing the doc's, so it is as if
this tool is made for me and I feel obliged to write a review. I hope to
finish it on time, but realize I'm a little late again and there is no
much room for discussion (if necessary).

Let me start with my review activities to write that I really like all
produced indexes. I'll list them here explicitly:

<http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/spirit/doc/html/spirit/qi/s04.html>
<http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/spirit/doc/html/spirit/karma/s05.html>
<http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/type_traits/doc/html/index/s14.html>
<http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_1/libs/math/doc/sf_and_dist/html/index/s16.html>

I wish every Boost library had such an index. I also wish that
Boost.Geometry will have such an index. So I will try to build one, and
doing that, also finish my review.

To be continued.

Regards, Barend