Subject: Re: [boost] [review] [autoindex] Formal review of AutoIndex
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-16 05:24:54

> > About the name: the tool is called AutoIndex. The executable is called
>auto_index. We have to use it in the Jamfile by auto-index. The doc confuses
>this a bit by stating "full-path-of-executable-auto-index.exe" and also
>mentioning autoindex.exe (tutorial/configure)
>
> Nod. I got a bit skitzophenic about the name. Will fix.

Small point...

I would be better to call Boost tools with some Boost prefix "namespace"
like boost_auto_index.exe or at leaset bauto_index similary to bjam or to bcp.

Rationale, auto_index /autoindex is something too general that may collide with
other
programs for example all GNU autotools start with auto - autoconf, automake,
autoXXX. So
one day there may be autoindex.

I'd suggest to use "boost" namespace like name for executables as well
so it would not collide with other installed programs.

It is especially critical for single root OS like Linux and other Unixes where
all programs go to /usr/bin and then collisions can easily happen.

Artyom Beilis
CppCMS - C++ Web Framework: http://cppcms.sf.net/
CppDB - C++ SQL Connectivity: http://cppcms.sf.net/sql/cppdb/