Subject: Re: [boost] Library Review Tool (paging Jeff Garland) -- was : Re: [xint] Formal Review Result
From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-16 07:31:09

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Michael Caisse <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 05/03/2011 11:17 PM, Michael Caisse wrote:
>

>> Some time ago we all had a discussion like this and I believe Jeff Garland
>> had mentioned Smart Bear's CodeCollaborator to aid in Boost Reviews. I used
>> their product for a short time and was just taking a look at their web site
>> again:
>>
>> <http://smartbear.com/products/development-tools/code-review/features/>
>>
>> I know there are other tools also (like Crucible) but CodeCollaborator
>> also allows reviews of html docs which will obviously be handy. IIRC Jeff
>> had mentioned that SmartBear might be willing to provide licensing for Boost
>> (or opensource .. it is all fuzzy). I believe Jeff was in contact with
>> them... but my memory might be failing (Jeff?? Are you there?)
>>
>> I would be willing to investigate this path further, including the
>> administration and such of the tool, if it is of interest to the community.
>>

>> michael
>>

> Some of us on IRC (Thomas Heller, Jeroen Habraken, and I) played with demo
> projects this past hour in both CodeCollaborator and Crucible. So far,
> Crucible seems the easiest to follow. The interface provides general
> threaded discussions also. The only thing that seems lacking at first glance
> is the ability to review HTML docs.
>
> Feel free to take a look and provide some feedback!
>
> http://sandbox.fisheye.atlassian.com/cru/CR-822
>

> The main Crucible site can be found here:
> http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/
>

> michael
>
> --

Hi Guys -

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I'm at BoostCon now and I'm planning on
running a "formal trial" on these tools while we have a face to face group.
I'm working with Smartbear and hope to have something available by Tuesday.
In the library in a week we will be looking for a suitable library (we don't
want a pretend one) to up into the tools so we can compare them.

Have one of you'all applied for the crucible community license already for
Boost or do we need to do something?

As for the Hartmut's issue about permanent data, we will need to figure that
out. I don't think we need to run the server -- frankly I'd rather not. As
long as we have control and can export the data and publish into email or
other form at the end of the review that should be sufficient to protect us
from companies going out of business, etc.

Jeff