Subject: Re: [boost] [btree] Status report
From: Rutger ter Borg (rutger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-19 03:24:28

On 05/18/2011 08:54 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:

> Feedback welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Beman

Hello Beman,

looks interesting. I'm not able to find the bootstrap.sh file mentioned
in the README, it seems to be missing in the repository.

I have four remarks on the current state

1) I think having the in-memory representation to be identical to the
on-disk representation is a very serious limitation. Wrapping around it
by overloading the output stream operators doesn't seem efficient. I'm
not advocating Boost.Serialization; rather something like Asio's
buffer-handling mechanism (which, in turn, can handle Boost.Serialization).

2) using a "path" argument to having a file open presumes a real
underlying file. Although this is fine, maybe I would like to use an
fstream?

3) It would be nice if it would work with an asynchronous file-like
services, like, e.g., Asio's RandomAccessHandleService, see
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/RandomAccessHandleService.html

4) have you looked at http://goo.gl/r8Z2m and/or http://goo.gl/lvc9A ?

Thanks,
Cheers,