Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Heaps
From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-01 13:10:28

Den 01-06-2011 15:49, Andrew Sutton skrev:

> I think there's value in considering parameterizing over the container
> type. There are probably use cases where bounding the heap size is
> useful. I'd like to know about these use cases before committing to
> make the change, however.

The cases are abundant. So many problems are only tractable for small
input sizes. In my PhD work I have algorithms that will need many small
priority queues. But even for larger sizes, it is still useful to
pass e.g. stlsoft::auto_buffer as a container. An allocator is not near
as powerful.

Also, take a look at the STL from Electronic Arts ... they provide this
feature for several types, e.g. circular_buffer.

-Thorsten