Subject: Re: [boost] Process library with child process events
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-03 05:21:18

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 04:29, Jeff Flinn <Jeffrey.Flinn_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Are both the parent/child process application code yours?

Yes.

> We accomplish something similar by using asio with async socket
> communication between the parent and child processes effectively sending an
> exit code. If the either dies the socket closure manifests as an asio
> failure. We have a single thread with an asio io_service run. But that
> single thread can handle multiple connections to multiple child processes.

The project is currently paused but that was what I began to implement,
using another library for networking (RakNet). Not sure if it provide an
equivalent but if it don't I can still use boost::asio just to do this.

So if you tell me it's a safe enough way to handle it using this approach (I
don't feel confident in the communication domain so I'm never sure...yet),
as I have the source code of both processes, I guess I'll continue on this
way.

> IIRC, the async wait of the previous process library would effectively work
> the same way, without needing socket communication, and a single thread with
> the io_service:run call to handle multiple child communication.
>
> As a game you most likely have a gui application. At boostcon Chris Kolhoff
> suggested that you could call, IIRC, io_service::poll from your event loop
> to avoid a second thread.

That's a good idea, I'll see if I can use it that way.

Joël Lamotte