Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost interested in the Boost-based Base64 library
From: Denis Shevchenko (for.dshevchenko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-10 03:13:19

> Hmmm - so you are proposing that something like the following header
> be added to boost?

Yes, Robert, something like this.

> a) where in the directory/namespace would this be? boost, boost/utility,
or?

For example, in boost/base64 directory and in boost namespace. I think it
CAN be in boost namespace.
So we have boost/base64 directory with docs, examples and base64.hpp file.
In main boost directory will be file with same name base64.hpp with:

#include <boost/base64/base64.hpp>

> c) All this for one small special purpose function?

Yes, Robert, for one small, concrete and frequent task.

> d) How is a user going to find this pair of functions in the boost
libraries.

As well as he going to find boost::mem_fn, for example... :-)

> e) As soon as someone puts this in, imediately some else will ask - great
> but it needs a parameter to so I can change the line width. Then someone
> asks for someother tweak. This is the result of making a "simple
solution".
> It's easy enough to make a simple solution - it's very hard to keep it
simple.

I understand you. My solution is simple and will be simple. Without "line
width", special formatting, etc.
Base64 encoding/decoding, nothing else.

- Denis