Subject: Re: [boost] Is there interest in e_float: Multiple-precisionfloatand special functions?
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-10 06:38:59

>I believe that we cleared up the license issues in recent private mails.

Nod, apologies I dropped the ball on that one, but having now read
http://cacm.acm.org/about-communications/author-center/acm-copyright-policy/
and talked to the other moderators, I think we're OK. There'll be an email
invitation to the sandbox shortly.

>In order to get the e_float core in the sandbox, we need to define how much
>we would initially like
>to have in the core.

>I might suggest:
>- The real data type e_float, its base class and its interfaces to the
>big-number back ends.
>- The specialization of std::numeric_limits<e_float>.
>- The complex data type (ef_complex)
>- Elementary transcendental functions (trig, power, log hyperbolic) for
>real and complex.
>- (optional) Possibly the Gamma function and Zeta functions for real and
>complex.

Nod.

Ultimately it would be nice if:

* The elementary functions could be made generic - it would be a huge help
in getting other real-number types in Boost.
* The special functions could be merged with our existing (generic) special
function code base.

HTH, John.