Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost interested in the Boost-based Base64 library
From: Denis Shevchenko (for.dshevchenko_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-16 15:16:45

> But I think interfaces that you are providing is very high-level.

You are right, Alexander, this interface is very high-level. But, IMHO,
such interface is good for many cases.

Of course, I'll provide iterator-based interface too.

> Another comment is performance. For most applications this could be
> crucial.

Yes. Unfortunately, performance of my solution is not ideal. In some "pure
C solutions" (for example, in OpenSSL crypto lib) speed is much faster
(upto 10 times). For example, 1000000 chars std::string encoded in 0.226 s
with my solution, but in 0.020 s - in some C solutions.

But:
1. I am C++ developer, not assembler developer. :-)
2. For some applications speed is not crucial factor. For example, now I
write console application for documents signing by RSA keys. What's the
big difference whether the license document is encoded/decoded in 0.009 s
or in 0.001 s?
3. Performance may be optimized in future.

My main goal is provide ready-to-use and simple-to-use utility based on
existing Boost iterators that can be used after one minute studying. My
solution is not ideal, but it's simple and, IMHO, useful even in present
form.

I personally would be glad to see such utility in Boost.

- Denis