Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in multi-dimensional array class templates.
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-17 13:23:41

Smith
> Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:06 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: [boost] Interest in multi-dimensional array class templates.
>
> The file maps.zip in the containers directory in Boost's vault contains a library with classes for
the
> development of multi-dimensional array applications. Also included are scalar and fixed-size
vector and
> matrix class templates with an expression template implementation of operators.
>
> The multi-dimensional array's can be fixed-size statically or dynamically allocated, or
dynamically allocated
> and resizeable.
> Vectors and matrices can be statically or dynamically allocated and written in block form. The
notation
> follows that provided by the STL and other Boost libraries.
>
> The classes lack tests using Boost's test framework and the documentation is rather sparse. The
intention
> would be to remedy both issues if interest is sufficient to warrant it.

You'd obviously put a lot of work into this and I'm sure some people will be interested in this
(since array are such second or third class citizens in C++).

But things that lurk in the vault rarely get to see much of the light of day ;-)

I suggest you might like to put it in the Boost sandbox in standard boost folder structure so that
more people can see it and get it using SVN. jamfile useful?

(Ask a moderator for Boost sandbox write access).

Docs are looking quite good already, but obviously more could be done.

And more examples will help in persuading people of its usefulness.

How it is related to/different from existing matrix stuff (uBLAS) will also be useful.

HTH

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,