Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in multi-dimensional array class templates.
From: Brian Smith (bjs3141_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-22 18:55:18

On 6/22/11, Brian Smith <bjs3141_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 6/22/11, Fabio Fracassi <f.fracassi_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 21/6/2011 22:28, Brian Smith wrote:
>>> The arrays are not specifically designed to deal with image data,
>>> although image and graphic libraries could make use of them. It's not
>>> clear whether this is the case for GIL having never used it myself.
>>> Looking through GIL's tutorial though and ignoring image specific
>>> terminology there does appear to be some similarity.
>>>
>>> The main difference between the math arrays in the library and uBLAS
>>> is that they're defined as fixed-size arrays. The other differences at
>>> the moment is only dense arrays and operations on them are available,
>>> and no algebra has been implemented.
>>>

>> AFAIK there are fixed size arrays for boost ublas in the most recent
>> version(s?), but I am not entirely sure.
>>
>> I guess the question I am asking is when should I use your arrays over
>> UBLAS or GIL?
>> Can your arrays be integrated?
>>
> The storage type of uBLAS arrays, as far as I'm aware, is always a
> linear array of consecutive memory locations where the type implements
> special purpose iterators, etc. As such I would presume integration is
> not possible with that library, however, I've never tried. Whether
> integration with GIL is possible is also unknown.

What I really meant to say here is...
The storage type of uBLAS arrays is always a linear array of
consecutive memory locations and can be a std::vector, or one of the
storage types supplied by the library. As such I would presume a
1-dimensional array from the library could be used as the storage type
but I don't see any benefit in using it that way, and in any case I've
not tried. etc,.

Regards
Brian