Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in multi-dimensional array class templates.
From: Frank Mori Hess (frank.hess_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-23 09:08:56

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011, Brian Smith wrote:

> > There is also Boost.MultiArray, has the overlap with that library been
> > addressed already?
>
> In terms of the way in which the two libraries create and manipulate
> storage there's no overlap. Ultimately they serve the same purpose,
> however, Boost.MultiArray doesn't provide statically allocated arrays

I'm not sure that's true. I've never tried it, but multi_array_ref
"provides the MultiArray interface over any contiguous block of elements" so
it seems like you could create one of those which uses statically allocated
storage.

> and generally provides poorer performance.

Is that assertion based on actual testing (with NDEBUG defined), or is there
some by-design reason your performance would be better?