Subject: Re: [boost] [1.47.0] Regression test failures
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-29 10:07:52

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Antony Polukhin <antoshkka_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> 2011/6/29 Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>:
>> The following are failing on critical platforms (Darwin/Linux/Windows
>> with recent GCC or VC++ releases):
>> conversion
>
> All the versions of VC++ fail the lexical_cast_loopback_test. It is a
> known for years issue and there is some work to resolve this bug, but
> the bugfix will not be ready soon (I hope to resolve this in version
> 1.48 or 1.49). If it is required, I can add <toolset
> name="msvc-10.0*"/> to <mark-failure> section of <test
> name="lexical_cast_loopback_test"> with some comment. But do we need
> this cosmetic patch in version 1.47?

Neither the release managers nor ordinary users can possibly know for
each library what issues are being worked on, what tests are expected
to fail, or whether a problem is serious or simply cosmetic. We have
to rely on the test results as displayed. And when a release is
showing many failures, it doesn't look ready for prime time.

So, please, do something:

* Fix the underlying problem.

* Apply markup to indicate the test is expected to fail.

* Change the test itself to be more selective about the results it reports.

I don't meant to pick on any one library and will send more or less
the same reply to similar queries about other libraries.

--Beman