Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Type Traits Introspection library by Edward Diener starts tomorrow Friday 1
From: John Bytheway (jbytheway+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-03 07:05:24

On 01/07/11 03:08, Joel Falcou wrote:
> According to the schedule, review for the Type Traits Introspection
> library by Edward Diener
> starts this friday and run till July 10th.

This is not a review, but some initial thoughts:

You mention early in the docs the risk of ODR violations from declaring
the same metafunction more than once. It seems to me that this is very
likely to occur when multiple libraries want to introspect the same
names. For example, if two libraries both include

BOOST_TTI_HAS_TYPE(type)

then I will not be able to use both these libraries in my program; is
that right?

This seems a serious deficiency. I feel it would be better to generate
these macro metafunctions in a namespace specific to the code that wants
to use them, rather than putting them all in boost::tti. That would
essentially eliminate the risk of cross-library ODR violations. What
is your motivation for putting all the macro metafunctions in the same
namespace?

John Bytheway