Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Conversion - pre review request
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-09 10:20:00

Jeroen Habraken wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Colour me curious, but what's the advantage of wrapping boost.coerce
> in boost.conversion? We're trying to create a sensible API for
> boost.coerce (which, as we've seen, is quite a challenge for a
> conversion library) and I personally do not see the benefit of it
> being wrapped with a different API in a different library.

The scope of Boost.Conversion is not to define specific conversions but
allow to put all the basic type-to-type conversion using a generic
interface. If Boost.Coerce provide an string to type efficient conversion
Boost.Conversion can provide a specialization for string to types conversion
that will delegate to Boost.Coerce. At the end std::string is a type as
others.

Boost.Conversion provides currently and optional (specific file) a
specialization for string-to-type and type-to-string that uses lexical_cast.
It will try to make this specialization available only if the used
expression is valid, but I have no taken the needed time yet.

Best,
Vicente