Subject: Re: [boost] logging
From: Jeff Graham (Jeff.Graham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-15 16:44:15

> >> So, do you have another logging library to propose to Boost?
> >
> > That is a joke I am certain. And since better people than me have
> > written and stopped working on a boost logging library due to the
simple
> > fact that one has ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED instead, I can laugh at the
> > joke.
>
> A joke, but the point being, if you aren't putting in the effort
yourself, what right do you really
> have to complain about other volunteers' efforts?

No right whatsoever... true enough. But others have put in effort
(reviewers, early adapters).
I am (just lightly) complaining because at some point (library
acceptance?) is there not a duty to carry through (even if it simply
means killing it to make way for something else or getting others
involved to help)? I suppose the answer to that question is no.

> There is nothing stopping someone else from submitting their own
library if it really seems this one
> has died. Or even if it hasn't. (Sounds like a lot of people would
prefer a more lightweight
> solution.)

Agreed. I recall some discussion about the fact that it would be ok if
several loggers were in the library if each offered some distinctive
value.

> I hope that Andrey speaks up and lets us know how his library is
coming along.

Me too. Many smart people spent time to review and voted to accept it,
and the lib is certainly in use anyway. And logging is a big hole in the
core boost functionality, exaggerated somewhat given some of the more
recent and esoteric library additions.

Andrey, I apologize for complaining but again, as I stated originally, I
am simply interested in knowing if there is a plan and perhaps a target
boost version.

> There isn't any way to make him work on it. And I don't think
deadlines make sense in a volunteer
> organization. So all we can do is enthusiastically plead with him to
get it released and then keep
> it maintained, or to find other volunteers who can help.

Completely agree.