Subject: Re: [boost] [infrastructure] The vault vs. project hosting vs. Boost hosting?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-17 10:16:17

On 7/16/2011 11:22 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
snipped...

> If we abandon the vault we also have to make the choices as to whether
> to abandon the current sandbox also. The reasons we've had two different
> systems until now is that the sandbox provides the revision control that
> some prospective projects want (when they don't want to use some other
> project hosting). This aspect doesn't seem to me as important anymore as
> there are varied project hosting services available. Which wasn't the
> case when the sandbox started. So to me it seems to make sense to also
> abandon the sandbox in favor of a combined solution.

Boost should provide some sort of version control hosting for potential
Boost libraries. The sandbox has served that situation well and makes it
easy for library developers to test their library against a Boost
release/tree, such as the Boost trunk. Abandoning the sandbox does not
seem reasonable to me unless there is a better version control hosting
solution.