Subject: Re: [boost] [infrastructure] The vault vs. project hosting vs. Boost hosting?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-17 15:16:09

On 7/17/2011 1:55 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> on Sun Jul 17 2011, Edward Diener<eldiener-AT-tropicsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7/16/2011 11:22 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
>> snipped...
>>>
>>> If we abandon the vault we also have to make the choices as to whether
>>> to abandon the current sandbox also. The reasons we've had two different
>>> systems until now is that the sandbox provides the revision control that
>>> some prospective projects want (when they don't want to use some other
>>> project hosting). This aspect doesn't seem to me as important anymore as
>>> there are varied project hosting services available. Which wasn't the
>>> case when the sandbox started. So to me it seems to make sense to also
>>> abandon the sandbox in favor of a combined solution.
>>
>> Boost should provide some sort of version control hosting for
>> potential Boost libraries. The sandbox has served that situation well
>> and makes it easy for library developers to test their library against
>> a Boost release/tree, such as the Boost trunk. Abandoning the sandbox
>> does not seem reasonable to me unless there is a better version
>> control hosting solution.
>
> GitHub is better. Google Code is better. BitBucket is better.
> Indefero is better. Shall I go on? ;-)

Hm.. Perhaps you should. Since I wasn't aware of some of those ;-) Goes
to show how far project hosting has progressed... Far enough to loose
track of what's available!

> My point is, there's no reason for Boost to spend its resources or
> attention on this; there are plenty of professionally-run services
> giving it away for free.

Right; but there is one thing that the current sandbox provides.. Boost
topical locality. All the code in there is specifically for Boost in
some form. And hence it's a bit easier for visitors to find new things
in it. Which is what was brought up in other posts.. Of trying to not do
our own central hosting, yet keep a nice central "index" / "catalog"
location.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything