Subject: Re: [boost] [TTI] Review for The Type Traits Introspection library by Edward Diener **extended**
From: lcaminiti (lorcaminiti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-18 11:16:23

Edward Diener-3 wrote:

> On 7/16/2011 10:58 PM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Joel Falcou<joel.falcou_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> * Contrary to others opinions, I think Edward should keep both
>> BOOST_TTI_MACRO and BOOST_TTI_TRAIT_MACRO macros (optionally renaming
>> them,
>> if desired; I think these are just following the Boost.MPL naming scheme,
>> but perhaps we can think of names that evoke the difference a little more
>> clearly). It imparts a de facto naming convention for these
>> metafunctions.
>> *But* you should include a warning about the possibility to automatically
>> generate names with double underscores, and that this behavior is
>> undefined.
>
> I will definitely do that. BTW I thought that the double underscores
> were only considered reserved for the compiler when at the beginning or
> end of an identifier, but it seems like I am wrong ( haven't found the
> appropriate comment in the C++ standard ).

A quick search into the ISO C++ standard document for "double underscore"
shows:

``
17.4.3.1.2 Global names [lib.global.names]

Certain sets of names and function signatures are always reserved to the
implementation:

- Each name that contains a double underscore (__) or begins with an
underscore followed by an upper-case letter (2.11) is reserved to the
implementation for any use.

- Each name that begins with an underscore is reserved to the implementation
for use as a name in the global namespace.

''

HTH,
--Lorenzo