Subject: Re: [boost] [qvm] few q's for emil
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-18 15:21:35

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr.
<jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Emil Dotchevski
>> > as could proxy
>> > structures (c*v could be a proxy vector where w<0>(c*v) = 1 is equivalent
>> > w<0>(v) = 1/c).
>>
>> This requirement means that none of the boost::qvm functions can
>> return temporary objects for proxies. The mutable proxies Boost QVM
>> avoid temporary objects by clever type casting. This helps control the
>> abstraction penalty of the library.
>
> I don't understand.  Can you elaborate?

For example, here is the col_m function which maps a vector type A as
a matrix-column:

template <class A>
typename boost::enable_if_c<
    is_v<A>::value,
    qvm_detail::col_m_<A> &>::type
BOOST_QVM_INLINE_TRIVIAL
col_m( A & a )
    {
    return reinterpret_cast<typename qvm_detail::col_m_<A> &>(a);
    }

The v_traits<col_m_>::r and v_traits<col_m_>::w functions cast back to
A (which is stored as v_traits<col_m_>::OriginalVector) before
accessing its elements:

template <int Row,int Col>
static
BOOST_QVM_INLINE_CRITICAL
scalar_type &
w( this_matrix & x )
    {
    BOOST_QVM_STATIC_ASSERT(Col==0);
    BOOST_QVM_STATIC_ASSERT(Row>=0);
    BOOST_QVM_STATIC_ASSERT(Row<rows);
    return v_traits<OriginalVector>::template
w<Row>(reinterpret_cast<OriginalVector &>(x));
    }

This technique avoids the creation of temporaries which are often the
source of abstraction penalties.

>> > Why do you require the dimension of vectors (and, likely, matrices; I
>> > haven't checked) to be strictly greater than 0?  Sometimes a
>> 0-dimensional
>> > vector is convenient to have when writing dimension-independent code.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of that. What can you do with a zero dimensional vector?
>
> Not much, to be sure (all zero-dim vectors of a given scalar type, at least,
> would be equal).  I can't give a concrete example at the moment, but I seem
> to remember some recursion on dimension I've done where the base case was
> simpler to express at 0 than at 1.

In principle I'm not against lifting this requirement, but I want to
make sure it's needed first. Doesn't this only affect the
specialization of v_traits? I mean, you can still write recursive
template meta programs that use zero as the base case as long as they
don't define zero size in a v_traits specialization.

>> > What algorithm do you use for computing determinants?
>>
>> The general case is pretty straight forward recursion, defined in
>> boost/qvm/detail/determinant_impl.hpp. However, the library comes with
>> a code generator (libs/qvm/gen.cpp) capable of defining overloads for
>> any specific size, unrolling the recursion.
>>
>> The code generator is used instead of template metaprogramming, again
>> to control the abstraction penalty of the library.
>
> I'll take a look.  I ask because I believe for 4x4 and larger matrices, a
> dynamic programming solution ends up significantly reducing the number of
> operations over the O(n!) recursive solution.  But, I believe, for matrices
> larger than 5x5, still other techniques take fewer operations.  Still,
> dynamic programming might improve the 4x4 and 5x5 cases.  But maybe you've
> already looked into this...?

No I have not. The determinant computations are currently pretty
straight-forward, save the use of an off-line code generator.

>> I guess that the documentation isn't clear but boost/qvm/math.hpp
>> defines function templates that correspond to the functions from
>> <math.h>. The templates are specialized for float and double, but can
>> be specialized for any other scalar. That said, I don't have tests
>> using any other scalar type. Perhaps a fixed point scalar should be
>> implemented to make sure there isn't something missing.
>>

> Are complex scalar types within the scope of the library?

I think so. I've certainly been very careful to design a type system
that permits non-trivial scalar types.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.