Subject: Re: [boost] [infrastructure] The vault vs. project hosting vs. Boost hosting?
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-18 21:17:32

on Mon Jul 18 2011, Thomas Heller <thom.heller-AT-googlemail.com> wrote:

> The best thing about these hosting services is that they publish their
> software as open source. github and gitorious provide free access to their
> software running the service (I don't know of the others) ....
>
>> > My point is, there's no reason for Boost to spend its resources or
>> > attention on this; there are plenty of professionally-run services
>> > giving it away for free.
>>
>> Right; but there is one thing that the current sandbox provides.. Boost
>> topical locality. All the code in there is specifically for Boost in
>> some form. And hence it's a bit easier for visitors to find new things
>> in it. Which is what was brought up in other posts.. Of trying to not do
>> our own central hosting, yet keep a nice central "index" / "catalog"
>> location.
>
> ... How about getting the software and host a boost like
> github/svnhub/mercurialhub whatever (provided we have the necessary
> ressources)?

I am strongly opposed to hosting anything that we can get someone else
to host. System administration is a huge...I'd say "time-waster," but I
know it isn't pure waste... let's say, time-spender. In technological
terms, I don't want to be anyone's major customer unless we have very
specialized needs. I want the problems we have to be the same ones the
service's whole client base is having, so that pressure to get things
fixed is not just from/for us.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing