Subject: Re: [boost] [C++0x] Emulate C++0x char16_t, char32_t, std::u16string, and std::u32string
From: Artyom Beilis (artyomtnk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-20 18:12:08

----- Original Message ----

No, you can't emulate them.

Emulation of char16_t/char32_t is useless for any real use.

You can't create working

  std::basic_ostringstream<char16_t> stream;

Because stream << 1245 would not work due to lack of std::locale facets.

You can't create requires facets as for example they are specialized
in many standard libraries.

Even existing Microsoft's VC2010 does not work if you compile application
with /MD or /MDd

Note: char, wchar_t, char16_t and char32_t are much more then basic types
that can be distinguished, they bring character information with them.

If you want to represent a UTF-16 or UTF-32 code unit just use uint16_t
or uint32_t, like for example ICU does for UChar and Qt does for QChar,
but this isn't something that suppose to work with standard library
in place where characters exists.

Also for File system? Please, don't try make it more complicated then it
is now.

You want to make boost.filesystem better? Make it use UTF-8 on Windows
by default and drop all "wide-crap" (sorry windows users).

All operating systems around (with one exception) use char * API and
one operating system uses utf-16/wchar_t API.

So adding arbitrary character that no operating system uses seems
to be waste of effort.

I **personally** don't see any benefit in adding char16_t/char32_t emulation
to the Boost and specialty to the Boost.Filesystem.

Today Boost.Filesystem has enough problems besides char16_t/char32_t.

 Artyom Beilis
CppCMS - C++ Web Framework: http://cppcms.sf.net/
CppDB - C++ SQL Connectivity: http://cppcms.sf.net/sql/cppdb/