Subject: Re: [boost] [C++0x] Emulate C++0x char16_t, char32_t, std::u16string, and std::u32string
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-20 22:07:30

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Mathias Gaunard
<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 10:27 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> The header I'm using is attached. I propose to place this in
>> <boost/string_0x.hpp>  rather than, say,
>> <boost/filesystem/detail/string_0x.hpp>, and providing a simple doc
>> page.
>
> This header adds stuff to namespace std.
>
> That's not allowed,

What's being added is stuff that is in fact specified in the standard,
or as near to it as the compiler will permit.

> and doesn't even work with some standard library
> implementations.

As those cases arise, the #if's will be expanded as needed.

The idea is to do what is possible, allowing most non-conforming and
legacy compilers and libraries to get more mileage out of Unicode
encodings. It won't be perfect, and the typedef technique isn't
pretty, but it does seem to solve a problem real users are asking be
solved.

--Beman