Subject: Re: [boost] [graph] gcc visibility support patch
From: Jürgen Hunold (juergen.hunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-23 05:32:57

Hi Jeremiah,

On Saturday, 23. July 2011 02:14:40 Jeremiah Willcock wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Jürgen Hunold wrote:
> >
> > Okay to commit?
>
> Fine with me.

Thanks, done trunk with r73308. Will merge to release when the regression
tests have cycled.

> Is there anything that could be added to the Boost Inspect
> tool (or at least the coding guidelines) to make sure that future code
> does not need visibility patches?

Well, that is an interesting idea.

We could check for

__declspec(dllexport)
__declspec(ddimport)

in the library headers.

Those are correctly used in:

boost/config/platform/win32.hpp
config/compiler/gcc.hpp

to define the BOOST_SYMBOL_EXPORT/-IMPORT macros.

Their usage elsewhere might by necessary, but only in certain circumstances
(exception visibility with msvc or other strange reasons ;-))

I see that I have missed Boost.Chrono and Boost.Asio which were added in the
meantime. A check and an entry in the library guidelines for non-header-only
libraries would be good, too.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold       ! Ingenieurgesellschaft für
* voice: ++49 511 262926 57       ! Verkehrs- und Eisenbahnwesen mbH