Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] TTI
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-07-27 10:13:00

On 7/26/2011 5:53 PM, Nathan Ridge wrote:

>>> One thing that I think is missing is the option to check for a named
>>> callable within a type. For example, one might want to use enable_if
>>> style concept checking. So long as a type has function 'xxx' that takes
>>> arguments of type x,y,and z, and returns something convertible to type
>>> A, the concept is obeyed. I don't believe this can be done with C++03,
>>> but with C++1X I was able to do something using decltype.
>>
>> By "named callable" do you mean a member function or static member
>> function of the type ? TTI can check for that. Or is there some other
>> criteria for which you are looking ?
>
> I think a (public) member variable with an operator() also qualifies
> as a "named callable". Admittedly, it's not something you see often...

You mean an operator in general which is a member function or static
function of a class ? Or just a function object operator ? I had not
thought about that, but it might be possible to see if that exists also.
I will look into that possibility for TTI.

However Frederick Bron's extension to type traits, which is called type
traits operators, does find out whether a particular operator exists for
a given type. I am not sure offhand whether or not it supports the call
operator '()' for function objects or not.

Eddie